Welcome Friend!   There are 23 Adventurers Exploring our World

Today in Eldyrwood is the 15th Day of the Storm Moon, 519th Harvest A.L.

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Waterproofing
Posted by: Tim K (IP Logged)
Date: May 9, 2018 09:23PM

We've had a lot of rain lately and it got some friends and me to wondering what people use to waterproof their clothing?

Re: Waterproofing
Posted by: Endre P (IP Logged)
Date: May 10, 2018 06:48PM

scotchgard works well on some clothing. the tighter the weave of clothing the more waterproof it is.

if you have pure wool garments you can soak them in lanolin and that will make it waterproof.

fleece is also highly water resistant. I believe the half-moon cloaks and cowls are quite water resistant.

some people wear ultra-light rain jackets under clothing. V-neck water resistant wind jackets/pullovers also are a nice layer to have. I usually carry a pair of rei waterproof pants that I found at a consignment shop with my gear. If it rains, I'll wear it under my garb pants and above my thermals or pantyhose (which is an amazing anti-tick layer by the way).

And honestly, if it's summer - a lot of people just get soaked and bring extra layers that retain some warmth while soaked (certain synthetics, wool, fleece). DO NOT WEAR COTTON unless you want to cool off insanely quickly. Same with wicking undershirts and tights.

Posted by: Tim K (IP Logged)
Date: May 10, 2018 08:53PM

Thanks for the info! I probably should have specified that my entire wardrobe is cotton . . . Guess I'll want to be upgrading before too long.

Posted by: Ashley R (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2018 09:34PM

Rustoleum Never Wet Spray is also an amazing product that helps make fabric hydrophobic with very little/minimal change to the feel/hand of the cloth. Wool, upholstery grade microsuede, and leather are all great for repelling water and staying dry, as well as oilcloth. Bring extra costuming/clothing and underlayers And Above all bring extra socks. Pack as many pairs as you think you will need and then pack at least twice that. Having dry socks can mean all the difference between comfort and discomfort. Well dry things versus wet things can mean all the difference.

Madame Alythia Gryswald Constantine

Founder of the Eldyrwood Handicrafts Society
Royal Seamstress of Felnar and Sarden

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.

© 1996-2019 by Mythical Journeys. All Rights Reserved.

Mythical Journeys ♦ Pomfret, CT USA