Welcome Friend!   There are 22 Adventurers Exploring our World

Today in Eldyrwood is the 15th Day of the Storm Moon, 519th Harvest A.L.

Off Topic
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Board ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Thank You!
Posted by: Laurie E (IP Logged)
Date: November 18, 2018 11:58PM

Hey everybodies who decided to read this message!~

I'm sitting here scrolling through some amazing photos of everyone, and having finally finished my PEL, I didn’t want to move forward into the depths of the cooler weather (and the lack of MJ now that we’re on hiatus, boo) without a proper thank you to everyone involved at MJ. This note is for the hard-working cast and crew, but especially to my fellow players — as it is you with whom I have the most interaction, and who ultimately make or break the larp experience.

I wanted to send a quick note to shout to all of the players I have had the pleasure of playing along with — even if I still don’t know your name and we’ve not had a formal introduction. Trust me, I’ve seen you and I’m trying to remember your name. I’ll get it eventually, I swear. This is to all you players. All of you — all 100 plus of you — have made MJ a place I can’t wait to come back to, and I knew I would not be an easy sell.

After larps in rural New York, other parts of New England, and in an Iron Age village in Wales, my expectations and hopes for MJ were high, but tempered with knowing what it’s like to come into game as a new player (especially when some have been at MJ for what appears to be a couple decades.). Larps are sacred ground for so many the world over, and it’s been my experience that sometimes being a newcomer is met with an understandably chilly reception — time, effort, energy, and funds are poured into personal and game-wide plots, and I realize bringing a newbie into these significant storylines can prove a double-edged sword for seasoned and returning players. “Who is this person? Are they going to add to or take away from my experience? Don’t mess up our plot!”

That is what I was most concerned about when coming “back” to MJ — would a new person such as myself find a path that wasn’t on the outside looking in? Would there be a string of plot for me to pull? Let’s just say some larps are more welcoming than others, and I am so grateful to have had such a warm, friendly, charitable, and inclusive reception at MJ.

Regardless of your personal political and social leanings, I think we can all agree we live in a fractured time, rife with judgement and dividing along invisible boundaries. We all come to a larp for a myriad of reasons I’m sure, and mine are multiple as well— but one significant reason is to shake off the chaos and complexity of the world “out there” when I’m in Eldyrwood.

I get to worry about orcs, and goblins, and fire ants (oh my!) for a precious weekend— and not all the other real world stuff that I will be staring down come Monday morning. It’s a sacred time capsule of joy, laughter, challenge, creativity, community, and our own brand of family-ish dynamics that keep things always interesting and often dramatic. For those of us who have had a particularly challenging year personally, a departure into a world of discovery, play, and silliness, coupled with communal problem-solving, camaraderie, and banter — Eldyrwood is a micro-respite as necessary for the soul as rain for a drought.

MJ has not disappointed. In fact, I have loved my first five events so much that they’ve flown by — and I can’t believe I’ve already “only” been at MJ such a short time compared with so many others. It’s because I already feel like I am finding my footing, and am proud to have made some incredible friendships already (looking at you Chris, Kim, Amanda, Tim & Deb!). But really — everyone has played a vital role in creating Eldyrwood, and moreover, a place I want to be. There aren’t as many places I know I want to be in this big, bad world at the moment, but I at least one for sure. I am thankful for this.

I am grateful to each and every player and cast at MJ for co-creating with me, even at a distance. I am inspired by your commitment to character, to role-play, to doing “what’s right,” “what’s fun,” and “what’s dangerous,” which we all know are three options that are not always the same. smiling smiley

You are some of the coolest cats around, and I’m looking forward to getting to know you better (or at least running by you in haste while I dodge something creepy appearing in Edgewood. I think my role in the militia should really at this point just be “Town Crier.”).

Thank you for such an awesome season. See you in March! (And on the boards till then…)

Laurie

TL;DR -- Laurie is super-grateful for you being a great PC/NPC. See you soon!

Zahthénaïs
(Za'-thin-ICE)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zahthénaïs Tzoerne
House Tzoerne // Scrivener & Diviner Mercantile

Re: Thank You!
Posted by: Tim K (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2018 05:21PM

Well-said! Thanks for the shout-out! grinning smiley

May the stars shine brightly upon you and guide you to peace and safety.

~Glospey

My voice is my violence
clear the sky, fill your ears
and no more we'll be silent
with this star spirit's song in our ears

Re: Thank You!
Posted by: Wendy M (IP Logged)
Date: November 19, 2018 09:04PM

Don't worry, after a decade or so, I still don't know everyone's names winking smiley

Maille Thatcher

"We sleep, but the loom of life never stops, and the pattern which was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes up in the morning"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this Board.

Send us your Comments or Email the Webmaster.

© 1996-2019 by Mythical Journeys. All Rights Reserved.

Mythical Journeys ♦ Pomfret, CT USA